Sunday, November 19, 2006

J-Rock Connection & Edward Scissorhands the musical?

J-Rock Connection is only a week away. We will be there representing SiliCon 2007 and enjoying all the music. There should still be some tickets avaliable so check J-Rock's website and reserve yours today!

And now for the most awkward sigue way...we have some words about a completely different type of music event.

I went to see the Edward Scissorhands Musical at the Orpheum Theatre the other night. It was a press screening, but the house was still pretty full eager fans. Tim Burton's creations have had a built in goth fan base since "Beetlejuice". I didn't really know what to expect. When I first heard about this play I'll admit I didn't have high hopes for it, I anticipated some smarmy retelling of a decent black fairy tale film. When I found out it was entirely told through dance I was really looking forward to a horrid night of pseudo-ballet. Despite all my preconceptions I ended up enjoying the show. The sets really stood out first thing, being an homage to Burton's eclectic animated style, they were very functional and not too overpowering. Set Designer Lez Brotherston (who also did the costume design) made good use of a minimal amount of drops and static set pieces, and painted a very dream like picture of middle America and Edward's haunted home. The story is changed a bit from the movie, but not so much that you don't recognize it. The Director/Choreographer Matthew Bourne made it seem effortless to tell the story without words, there wasn't a time where I didn't "get" exactly what he was trying to communicate. The music is arranged by Terry Davies inspired by Danny Elfman's original score. The cast was energetic without any real stand outs, which I actually found refreshing, there didn't seem to be any greedy attention hounds trying to out do their fellow dancers. If you are a fan of Tim Burton and especially if you are a fan of Edward Scissorhands I suggest catching this show. If you have only a passing interest in theatre or are expecting a full scale Broadway production then take a pass. Edward Scissorhands runs from Nov. 11 through Dec. 10 at the Orpheum Theatre, 1192 Market St., San Francisco. $35-$90. (415) 512-7770

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home